Welcome to all of our New Friends

Welcome.
Please find today's shared comment below.
Visit often as we add new material and contacts and if you like what you find here, please share it with friends and family.
I encourage you to visit the archives, and to leave comments.
Send us an email if you wish. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with great content each day.

Welcome to AYD, and may this be the start of great things to come.
Pierre

Translate

"What can we do, starting today, to build lasting success?"...."We all want to be part of something. We all want to feel great about the choices we make."

Sunday, January 13, 2013

AYD - Jan 14, 2013 - I Read Somewhere...

"Hold a book in your hand and you're a pilgrim at the gates of a new city."

- Anne Michaels

Opportunity Monday.
Really, if every Monday was like an exam... you would have nothing to worry about. 
It is not like I suggest something complicated.

"Hold a book in your hand and you're a pilgrim at the gates of a new city. "
As you open the cover of a story book, and turn to page one, a new unfamiliar tale begins to unfold. 
We lose ourself in a story just to see where it will take us, and before long it is as though we are not reading at all.  It appears like a movie, playing in our mind.  We forget we are reading, for the picture becomes vivid, high def, and beautifully colored.  We are right there, and we cannot put it down.

Now, how is it that we do not approach growth reading the same as we do entertainment reading? 
One demands we think and one just plays a movie, yes..yes, I know.  That was a silly question.  My wife tells me often that I just need some casual enjoyment reading to allow my overthinking mind to embrace, "Lights Out!"

But, have you ever considered it?  Should you browse thru that section of the newspaper that you never do, and instead of just skimming the headlines, you took literally two minutes to read something you normally would not know exists, might it not flick a switch inside you and shine a light on some new interest?  Or, watch one of those movies that wins on those big award shows.  You know the one.  That one you never heard of, never saw advertised, and don't know any of the actors.  Try it.  You may say just once, " I never knew that", or "That was a surprisingly good story."

I can easily admit, I will walk thru a clothing store and really dislike a shirt I see on the rack.  Won't go near it or give it a second thought.  And then, because she asked so nicely, I try it on.  And... wait for it... He likes it ! He really likes it !  And this is always followed by my confession, " I never would have known...."

Opportunity Monday says, pick up a book, read a magazine article, go blindfolded thru the movie listings, pin the tail on the clothing rack... and nomatter what your choice, step outside of your comfort zone and see from a different angle. 

I read somewhere, that this just might teach you something you never knew... about you.

Good Learning,
Pierre Couturier
Husband, Daddy, Author ... and Collector of things I should be reading.



No comments: